Sunday, March 30, 2014

Blind Walk

My senses dominated by feelings of spatial uncertainty, my perception and engagement with the acoustic elements of space was discomfiting, producing a potent sense of disequilibria. I experienced the disconcerting sensation that everything I was not in direct contact with didn't exist, and the muffling of sounds behind doors and from other floors in the building made it difficult to use sound to orient myself in the space. The difficulty of spatial attribution profoundly impacted my experience, and I felt as thought sounds could've come from behind the 3" thick door a foot to my left, or emanated from some distant source. Coming from all sides, sound suggested an infinite, indefinite expanse of space, rather than confirming the reassuring presence of the fourfold and upper and lower planes. Ironically, it was my knowledge that there were walls, floors, and ceilings that produced tension when there was no spatial or physical confirmation of their presence. This absence, along with the formlessness and difficulty in sourcing sound, undermined my knowledge of the space.

It was outside, with no floor to give way or walls to disappear, that I felt at ease with the surroundings.

No comments:

Post a Comment